Alumni Small Grants Fund
The Australian Government provides grants to support Timorese Australia Awards Alumni to contribute to the future development of Timor-Leste, develop their leadership skills and to undertake professional development opportunities.
In 2017 the Small Grant Fund funded a range of projects including;
- Improving access to water and sanitation for remote households at the top of a mountain in the aldeia of Railicu, Maubisse.
- Testing the tolerance of new and existing legume species to lowland conditions, successfully demonstrating their potential to increase crop yield.
- The provision of interactive literacy classes to 45 primary school students from disadvantaged backgrounds, encouraging them to read and supporting development of writing and drawing skills.
- A qualitative research study documenting inadequate awareness of the education needs and capabilities of people with visual impairment in remote rural areas, with recommendations for the education sector.
ALUMNI SMALL GRANT APPLICATION 2019 – OPEN NOW
HOW TO APPLY?
Application forms will be sent via email and hard copy will be delivered upon request.
Applicants should email their completed application to the Alumni Secretariat via: email@example.com
Application deadline: Thursday 31st October 2019.
Each grant must be above the minimum of USD500 and up to a maximum of USD5,000 and are payable in AUD or USD currencies. Provision of an amount is not automatic and the application should justify the amount that is sought through an itemised budget to be included in the application form.
Eligible alumni are those who have studied under an Australia Award, an Australian Development Scholarship or previous similar program funded by the Australian Government for a Diploma, Advanced Diploma, Bachelor, Masters or Doctoral degree. Alumni may apply individually or as a group of alumni. Eligible applications must propose funding for a one-time leadership and/or professional development opportunity that relates to their field of study or employment. Preference will be given to applications relating to gender equality and inclusion (women, people living with disability, and people from rural areas).
Examples of Alumni Small Grants
Examples of expenses which the Australia Awards Alumni Small Grants fund could provide for include, but is not limited to:
- attending an event such as a conference, workshop or symposia in the alumni’s field of study or employment
- organising an event such as a conference, workshop or symposia in the alumni’s field of study or employment
- completing short-term training (up to two months) that adds value to the alumni’s field of study or employment
- membership fees to a relevant professional body or association in Timor-Leste or Australia
- maintaining links with Australian institutions or organisations, such as participating in university- or organisation-sponsored competitions or events
- running a community program that uses the alumni’s knowledge and skills gained while a scholar in Australia
- undertaking further research in an area of expertise, particularly where that area relates to Government of Timor-Leste (GoTL) priorities
- undertaking work placements or internships in organisations related to the alumni’s field of study
Other expenses or activities that meet the primary eligibility requirements may be covered by the Alumni Small Grants fund.